Robinson to miss Sussex’s opening Vitality Blast matches

Robinson took seven wickets in England’s opening Test match against New Zealand at Lord’s, which ended in a draw; offensive tweets from 2012 and 2013 emerged after first day and bowler was subsequently suspended by the ECB pending an investigation

Last Updated: 10/06/21 3:30pm

Ollie Robinson has been suspended by the ECB pending an investigation Ollie Robinson has been suspended by the ECB pending an investigation

Ollie Robinson has been suspended by the ECB pending an investigation

Ollie Robinson will not feature in Sussex’s opening two Vitality Blast matches, his county has revealed.

Robinson impressed in his Test match debut as part of the England side that drew the first Test against New Zealand at Lord’s, picking up seven wickets in the match.

England seamer Ollie Robinson has apologised for the racist and sexist tweets he posted over eight years ago which emerged on the day of his Test debut.

Sky Sports 1:24
England seamer Ollie Robinson has apologised for the racist and sexist tweets he posted over eight years ago which emerged on the day of his Test debut.

England seamer Ollie Robinson has apologised for the racist and sexist tweets he posted over eight years ago which emerged on the day of his Test debut.

But his positive performance was overshadowed after offensive tweets that he posted in 2012 and 2013 resurfaced, with Robinson suspended by the ECB pending an investigation.

Michael Holding believes the ECB shouldn't 'come down too hard' on Ollie Robinson if their investigation concludes his historic racist and sexist tweets were an isolated incident

Sky Sports 2:17
Michael Holding believes the ECB shouldn’t ‘come down too hard’ on Ollie Robinson if their investigation concludes his historic racist and sexist tweets were an isolated incident

Michael Holding believes the ECB shouldn’t ‘come down too hard’ on Ollie Robinson if their investigation concludes his historic racist and sexist tweets were an isolated incident

Sussex say they acknowledge that Robinson’s tweets were “completely unacceptable” but will “turn its attention to supporting Ollie in his commitment to continue to educate himself in the area of equality, diversity and inclusion”.

The full statement read: “Ollie Robinson will not be part of the Sussex Sharks squad for the team’s opening two Vitality Blast fixtures against Gloucestershire and Hampshire Hawks on Friday and Saturday evening.

“After a difficult week, Ollie has decided to take a short break from the game to spend time with his young family. Player and staff welfare – including mental health and wellbeing – is a priority for the club and, as such, Sussex Cricket fully supports Ollie in his decision.

Former England head coach Peter Moores says Ollie Robinson's suspension for posting offensive tweets nine years ago highlights the need for more education in the game.

Sky Sports 0:41
Former England head coach Peter Moores says Ollie Robinson’s suspension for posting offensive tweets nine years ago highlights the need for more education in the game.

Former England head coach Peter Moores says Ollie Robinson’s suspension for posting offensive tweets nine years ago highlights the need for more education in the game.

“When he is ready to return, Ollie will be welcomed back to the club, where discussions with the remainder of the squad over the last week have made clear that he retains the support of all his Sussex team-mates.

“We remain in close contact with Ollie from a welfare perspective and will issue further updates on his availability at the relevant times.

“Another of Sussex Cricket’s priorities is making cricket a game for everyone in our community. Ollie’s tweets were completely unacceptable, and their content is totally at odds with our stated ambition to inspire people from every background in our county to say, ‘I feel part of Sussex Cricket’.

“Ollie is a very different man from the one that wrote those tweets and has clearly learned much in the intervening years. He has made clear the shame, embarrassment, and remorse he feels for the discriminatory comments he made.

Nasser Hussain says Ollie Robinson's historical racist and sexist tweets were 'unacceptable', but believes people should be given the opportunity to change for the better.

Sky Sports 0:28
Nasser Hussain says Ollie Robinson’s historical racist and sexist tweets were ‘unacceptable’, but believes people should be given the opportunity to change for the better.

Nasser Hussain says Ollie Robinson’s historical racist and sexist tweets were ‘unacceptable’, but believes people should be given the opportunity to change for the better.

“As a result of his actions, Ollie has had the opportunity to represent his country suspended, is at the centre of intense public and media scrutiny and faces the possibility of further disciplinary action from the ECB. Sussex Cricket will not be adding to these significant penalties. The club will turn its attention to supporting Ollie in his commitment to continue to educate himself in the area of equality, diversity and inclusion.

“Ollie has more to learn in this area. We all do. We all have a responsibility to improve and to make cricket a game for everybody.

“This is why, last year, we created an Equality, Diversity & Inclusion Sub-Committee of the Board of Sussex Cricket to devise a plan in this area.

“Among the initial actions agreed are further training for all our staff, our Board and our Trustees, the introduction of diversity champions for specific protected characteristics, Urban Cricket Plans to maximise engagement with the diverse communities in Sussex’s biggest towns and cities, a commitment to challenge non-inclusive behaviours in our organisation and the introduction of regular consultation with our employees, customers, volunteers, officials and players to make sure we know exactly where we can improve.

“Everyone at the club is committed to furthering our understanding of equality, diversity and inclusion through education. This will be an ongoing focus for us and one that will take time.

“As evident in society as a whole, there are no quick fixes to address these deep-rooted issues. Ollie, as well as everyone else at Sussex Cricket, will be involved in our efforts to make sure we as an organisation build on the work we have already done and continue to get better.”

Jenson Button, Gary Lineker, Kelly Cates, Alan Shearer, Gary Neville, Micah Richards, Gabby Logan, Ebony-Rainford-Brent, Jamie Carragher, Jermaine Jenas, Jamie Redknapp and Nasser Hussain among BBC and Sky stars united against online hate.

Sky Sports 0:39
Jenson Button, Gary Lineker, Kelly Cates, Alan Shearer, Gary Neville, Micah Richards, Gabby Logan, Ebony-Rainford-Brent, Jamie Carragher, Jermaine Jenas, Jamie Redknapp and Nasser Hussain among BBC and Sky stars united against online hate.

Jenson Button, Gary Lineker, Kelly Cates, Alan Shearer, Gary Neville, Micah Richards, Gabby Logan, Ebony-Rainford-Brent, Jamie Carragher, Jermaine Jenas, Jamie Redknapp and Nasser Hussain among BBC and Sky stars united against online hate.

Hate Won’t Win

Sky Sports is committed to making skysports.com and our channels on social media platforms a place for comment and debate that is free of abuse, hate and profanity.

For more information, please visit: www.skysports.com/againstonlinehate

If you see a reply to Sky Sports posts and/or content with an expression of hate on the basis of expression of hate on the basis of race, sex, colour, gender, nationality, ethnicity, disability, religion, sexuality, age or class, please copy the URL to the hateful post and screengrab it and email us here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *