Norway attack – live: Man accused of killing five in bow and arrow attack ‘had shown signs of radicalisation’

Several dead in Kongsberg after man shoots people with bow and arrows near Oslo

Police in Norway have confirmed the man charged with killing five people and injuring two others in a bow and arrow attack was a Muslim convert it was previously concerned about over signs of radicalisation.

“There earlier had been worries of the man having been radicalised,” Police chief Ole B Saeverud told a press conference.

The man, who was not further identified, has confessed to going on a rampage in Kongsberg, southwest of the capital Oslo, prosecutor Ann Iren Svane Matthiassen said, adding he was was questioned overnight.

The victims were four women and one man between the ages of 50 and 70, Saeverud added. The man is suspected of having shot at people in a number of locations in the town of Kongsberg on Wednesday evening

In a statement, police said the suspect is a 37-year-old Danish citizen who lives in Kongsberg.

Police prosecutor Ann Irén Svane Mathiassen said other weapons were used during the incident, without giving additional details of the weapons, Norwegian news agency NTB was told.

1634203490

4 women among victims of Norway bow and arrow attack

Police confirmed that four women and a man were among the victims of the Norway bow and arrow attack.

The ages of all the victims were between 50 and 70-years-old.

The man, who was not further identified, has confessed to going on a rampage in Kongsberg, southwest of the capital Oslo, prosecutor Ann Iren Svane Matthiassen said, adding he was was questioned overnight.

Thomas Kingsley14 October 2021 10:24

1634202533

Kongsberg church opens doors to public following attack

Kongsberg church has announced it has opened its doors to the public following the bow and arrow attacks in the city on Wednesday.

“The church will be open from 9.00am for everyone who needs someone to talk to, be with, light a candle, or just be quiet,” the church wrote on its Facebook page.

Parish priest Reidar Aasbø the news adding: “The entire Kongsberg community is affected by this. Now, we’ll stand together and take care of each other,” the church wrote on its website.

<amp-img src="https://static.independent.co.uk/2021/10/13/20/newFile-2.jpg?width=982&height=726&auto=webp&quality=75" alt="

Police have confirmed the suspect was previously a person of concern because radicalisation fears

” height=”726″ width=”982″ srcset=”https://static.independent.co.uk/2021/10/13/20/newFile-2.jpg?width=640&auto=webp&quality=75 640w” layout=”responsive” class=”i-amphtml-layout-responsive i-amphtml-layout-size-defined” i-amphtml-layout=”responsive”>

Police have confirmed the suspect was previously a person of concern because radicalisation fears

(via REUTERS)

Thomas Kingsley14 October 2021 10:08

1634201275

BREAKING: Suspect in bow-and-arrow killings had shown signs of radicalisation, police say

A Danish man who is in custody in Norway suspected of carrying out a bow-and-arrow attack which killed five people is a Muslim convert who had previously been flagged as having being radicalised, police said.

“There earlier had been worries of the man having been radicalised,” Police chief Ole B Saeverud told a press conference.

Our reporter Thomas Kingsley has the full story:

Thomas Kingsley14 October 2021 09:47

1634199151

Police prosecutor confirms several weapons were used in attack

Police prosecutor Ann Irén Svane Mathiassen confirmed that other weapons were used during the incident, without giving additional details of the weapons, Norwegian news agency NTB were told.

Police said they confirmed information about the suspect because of “rumours circulating on social media about possible perpetrators.”

<amp-img src="https://static.independent.co.uk/2021/10/13/23/PRI204767095.jpg?width=982&height=726&auto=webp&quality=75" alt="

Police investigating the attack on Wednesday evening

” height=”726″ width=”982″ srcset=”https://static.independent.co.uk/2021/10/13/23/PRI204767095.jpg?width=640&auto=webp&quality=75 640w” layout=”responsive” class=”i-amphtml-layout-responsive i-amphtml-layout-size-defined” i-amphtml-layout=”responsive”>

Police investigating the attack on Wednesday evening

(EPA)

Thomas Kingsley14 October 2021 09:12

1634197726

Attack is worst in Norway since 2011

The bow and arrow attack is Norway’s deadliest since far-right extremist Anders Behring Breivik murdered 77 people on the island of Utoya in July 2011.

Most of the victims were at a children’s Labour Party summer camp on the island.

Police have confirmed that they are investigating whether this attack is linked to terrorism.

Thomas Kingsley14 October 2021 08:48

1634196688

Man charged in connection to bow and arrow killings

A man has been charged with the killing of five people and injuring two others with a bow and arrow.

In a statement, police said the suspect is a 37-year-old Danish citizen who lives in Kongsberg. No other details were released.

The suspect was apprehended after the attack on Wednesday night in the town, which is 50 miles south-west of the country’s capital, Oslo.

Our reporter Thomas Kingsley has the full report:

Thomas Kingsley14 October 2021 08:31

1634196072

Suspect was known to police, prosecutors say

Police prosecutor Ann Irén Svane Mathiassen told local news station TV2 that the suspect of the bow and arrow attack was known to police.

The suspect’s defence lawyer, Fredrik Neumann said he was cooperating with authorities and was questioned for more than three hours.

He added that the suspect has a danish mother and Norwegian father.

Thomas Kingsley14 October 2021 08:21

1634195463

Police confirm knife also used in attack, reports say

Other weapons including knives were used by the suspect, Konsberg based reporter Thea Odegarden has said.

Speaking on Sky News the reporter stated police had confirmed the attacker used other weapons in addition to the widely reported bow and arrow.

Thomas Kingsley14 October 2021 08:11

1634193924

Police are investigating whether the attack is terrorism related

A police spokesman has confirmed that it is investigating whether the attack was terror related.

The attacker is said to have launched the assault inside a Coop Extra supermarket in Kongsberg, south of Norway.

One witness told local outlet TV2 she had heard a commotion and seen a woman taking cover, then a “man standing on the corner with arrows in a quiver on his shoulder and a bow in his hand”.

Local police have cordoned off large parts of the town.

Thomas Kingsley14 October 2021 07:45

1634193037

Two people in intensive care

Two people are still in intensive care following the attack in Norway which has left five dead. One of those receiving urgent care is an off-duty police officer, Øyvind Aas the police chief in Kongsberg has confirmed.

The chief also confirmed that the alleged attacker “ is the only person implicated” in the incident.

Thomas Kingsley14 October 2021 07:30

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *