SWAT team reaches suspect white van involved in standoff connected to LA mass shooting
Monterey Park mass shooter Huu Can Tran was paranoid that his family had tried to poison him decades ago and had gone to police with the allegations just weeks before he killed 11 in a shooting rampage at a ballroom dance club.
Hemet Police revealed on Monday that Tran, 72, had visited the police department twice in early January – once on 7 January and then again on 9 January – “alleging past fraud, theft, and poisoning allegations involving his family in the Los Angeles area 10 to 20 years ago”.
The gunman told police he would return with documentation to prove his allegations but he never returned.
Weeks later, on Saturday night, he entered the Star Ballroom Dance Studio in Monterey Park and carried out America’s deadliest mass shooting in eight months. The death toll rose to 11 on Monday when another victim died from their injuries.
Less than 48 hours on from the massacre, California was rocked by yet another mass shooting in Half Moon Bay on Monday.
Seven people were killed across two locations at agricultural businesses – a mushroom farm and a trucking facility – before suspect Chunli Zhao, 67, was taken into custody.
Monterey Park shooter thought his family tried to poison him, police say
The Monterey Park gunman had told the police earlier this month that his family had tried to poison him decades ago, officials said.
Hemet police spokesperson Alan Reyes said in a statement on Monday that 72-year-old Huu Can Tran visited the Hemet Police Department lobby twice this month – on 7 January and then again on 9 January.
Tran had also made allegations of fraud and theft, apart from claiming that his family in the Los Angeles area had tried to poison him some 10-20 years ago.
Maroosha Muzaffar has more details:
Stuti Mishra24 January 2023 06:19
Everything we know about Half Moon Bay shooting in California that left seven dead
California has now been left reeling from three mass shootings in as many days, after a “disgruntled” mushroom farm worker allegedly shot dead seven coworkers in a massacre in Half Moon Bay.
Chunli Zhao, who worked for decades at one of the two sites where the shooting unfolded, is accused of carrying out two separate shootings at two different agricultural businesses in the San Francisco area.
The suspect, 67, was arrested on Monday afternoon after he was spotted sitting in his car outside a local sheriff’s office.
Investigators are still trying to determine a motive for the horror attack which has reignited calls for a crackdown on gun laws in the US where mass shootings and gun violence are increasingly commonplace.
Here’s what we know so far about the shooting:
Rachel Sharp24 January 2023 12:35
Family of victim My Nhan releases statement
The family of My Nhan, 65, released a statement honouring “a loving sister, aunt, daughter and friend”.
Ms Nhan was one of the ten people killed at the Monterey Park dance studio on Saturday night.
The statement was shared on Twitter by Ms Nhan’s nephew’s wife, Tiffany Liou, a reporter for WFAA.
“Mymy Nhan was the first person shot and killed during the #MontereyPark mass shooting,” she wrote.
“I’ve covered a lot of tragedies, and never imagined one would hit so close to home. My husband’s family is hurting beyond measure.”
The family statement reads: “It’s still sinking in what happened to Mymy. She spent so many years going to the dance studio in Monterey Park on weekends. It’s what she loved to do. But unfairly, Saturday was her last dance.”
“We are starting the Lunar New Year broken. We never imagined her life would end so suddenly. Mymy was 65 years old. If you knew her, you knew her warm smile and kindness was contagious. She was a loving aunt, sister, daughter and friend.”
“Mymy was our biggest cheerleader.”
Oliver O’Connell24 January 2023 12:15
Watch: Brandon Tsay, who disarmed gunman, speaks to ABC News
Brandon Tsay, whose family owns the Lai Lai Ballroom & Studio in Alhambra, told ABC’s Good Morning America that he lunged at the shooter when he entered the venue armed and looking for people to shoot.
Mr Tsay said he was unaware at the time about the earlier attack in Monterey Park, where 10 people were killed and 10 others wounded.
“He started prepping the weapon and something came over me,” said the 26-year-old coder. “I realised I needed to get the weapon away from him. I needed to take this weapon, disarm him or else everybody would have died.”
Initial reports suggested two people disarmed the gunman, but Mr Tsay’s family says security footage shows he acted alone.
Most of the dance attendees had left when the shooter entered the ballroom studio on Saturday night.
After a struggle in which they exchanged blows, Mr Tsay was able to seize the weapon and threatened to shoot the intruder unless he left.
Oliver O’Connell24 January 2023 11:30
Monterey Park gunman’s ex-wife speaks out
The former wife of shooting suspect Huu Can Tran, 72, has spoken out after police say her ex-husband killed 10 people and injured 10 more at a shooting on 21 January at a dance studio in Monterey Park, California.
Speaking to CNN, Tran’s ex-wife, who asked not to be named due to the sensitivity surrounding the case, said she met him two decades ago at the Star Ballroom Dance Studio where Saturday’s massacre took place.
Rachel Sharp24 January 2023 11:10
Newsom slams ‘tragedy upon tragedy’ as he learns about latest mass shooting while visiting Monterey Park victims
California Governor Gavin Newsom was in Monterey Park meeting with victims of Saturday’s mass shooting on Monday when he learned about the shooting at Half Moon Bay.
“At the hospital meeting with victims of a mass shooting when I get pulled away to be briefed about another shooting. This time in Half Moon Bay. Tragedy upon tragedy,” he tweeted.
In an interview with CBS, the governor described the Second Amendment as a “suicide pact” and said that “large capacity magazines do not belong on our streets”.
“This Second Amendment’s becoming a suicide pact, it feels like,” he said.
“California’s 37 per cent lower than the death rate of the rest of the nation, and yet, with all that evidence, no one on the other side seems to give a damn.”
Rachel Sharp24 January 2023 10:50
California rocked by third mass shooting in three days as one killed and seven injured in Oakland
California has been rocked by its third mass shooting in as many days as one victim was killed and seven others injured in a shooting rampage at a gas station in Oakland.
The shooting unfolded just after 6pm on Monday evening at a gas station along Seminary Avenue and Macarthur Blvd, according to the Oakland Police Department (OPD).
Law enforcement responded to the scene after being notified to a shooting through ShotSpotter activity.
Read the full story here:
Rachel Sharp24 January 2023 10:30
Seven killed in latest mass shooting at Half Moon Bay
Less than 48 hours on from the massacre in Monterey Park, California was rocked by yet another mass shooting on the outskirts of Half Moon Bay in San Francisco on Monday.
Seven people were killed across two locations at agricultural businesses – a mushroom farm and a trucking facility – before a suspect was taken into custody.
The gunman shot dead four victims and wounded a fifth at the farm, before shooting another three victims dead at the second business located a few miles away, according to authorities.
Chunli Zhao, a 67-year-old worker at the mushroom farm, was found sitting in his car in the parking lot of a sheriff’s substation and was taken into custody, San Mateo County Sheriff Christina Corpus said.
The motive for the attack remains unclear but Mr Zhao and the victims all worked at the businesses.
Rachel Sharp24 January 2023 09:58
Coroner’s office names first two victims
The Los Angeles County Coroner’s office has released the names of two of the ten victims of the Monterey Park shooting on Saturday night.
Both were women in their 60s — My Nhan, 65, and Lilan Li, 63.
The other victims are three other women and five men, nine of whom are in their 60s and 70s and one of whom was aged in her 50s, officials have said.
Unofficially, friends identified the first victim as the owner of the ballroom studio.
Ming Wei Ma, the studio owner and a dance instructor, heroically ran towards the gunman to try to stop the massacre, a friend told CBS Los Angeles.
Oliver O’Connell24 January 2023 09:30
City of Alhambra Lunar New Year celebration to go ahead
The City of Alhambra has announced that it will go ahead with its planned Lunar New Year celebration this coming Sunday, 29 January.
A statement released via Facebook says: “While we don’t have all the information on the motives of Saturday night’s tragedy, Sheriff Luna has confirmed it was not related to the Lunar New Year Festival and the suspect is no longer a threat to the community.
“Alhambra’s Lunar New Year Festival will still take place this Sunday, January 29th. The safety of our community is paramount, as such, additional resources from the Alhambra Police Department will be present.
“We look forward to our celebration and our community coming together.”
Oliver O’Connell24 January 2023 08:30